As 2020 slowly drained the hope and positivity out of Sandi Martin, she knew she needed to find a way to smile again. She and her husband foster for their local shelter in Lake Oswego, Oregon, and know the joy animals bring. Even more so, Sandi has been the Board President for CAT, Cat Adoption Team since 2012. But one of the five cats they fostered over the year, was already home. And once they officially “foster failed” the sweet polydactyl, FeLV+ calico cat Lily, they knew their life was full again.
Little did they know that their cat Lily would actually SAVE their lives before tragedy could occur.
It was when Sandi joined Lily for a little playtime in their living room. Sitting down on the ground with the cat, she wasn’t surprised when Lily walked off to investigate elsewhere. That IS what cats do when you want to love them; walk away.
But this time, Lily became very interested in the smells apparently coming from their fireplace.
“I went over and sniffed and there was a natural gas smell,” Sandi told Morgan Romero from KGW8 News. “It was very faint so I didn’t really trust my nose. Then I asked my husband to sniff it, and he sniffed it too.”
Unsure of what it was, they knew there was something “off”. So they contacted their gas company who immediately sent a worker to their home. Despite the frigid winter weather, the worker arrived about 20 minutes later.
Thankfully they did, because what Lily had smelled was an extremely dangerous gas leak!
The worker ordered them to evacuate the residence immediately and secured the pipes entering the home. Had this been left undiscovered, the pressure and gas could have built up, eventually exploding.
Lily had essentially saved their lives…again.